Charlene Chua (pronounced: CHOO-ah) has illustrated many things over the years for kids of all ages. Her illustration work has won several awards, while books she has illustrated have been nominated for USBBY Outstanding International Books, OLA Best Bets, Shining Willow Award, and Kirkus Best books.
Charlene's author/illustrator debut, Hug?, will be published by Kids Can Press in 2020.
Charlene was born and grew up in Singapore, and moved to Canada in 2007. She started work in 1998 as a web designer, and went on to become a senior designer, web producer and interactive project manager. However, what she really wanted to do was draw pictures all day. In 2003, she decided to give it a go, and after a few years, she became a full-time illustrator.
When she is not making art, she enjoys cooking, reading, and playing with her cats. She now lives with her husband (and cats!) in Hamilton, Ontario.
She is represented by Tracy Marchini at BookEnds Literary for all book projects.
Love, Violet (Fall 2021) by Charlotte Sullivan Wild, Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Oliver Bounces Back (Fall 2021) by Alison Hughes, Scholastic Canada
Football Baby (Fall 2021) by Diane Adams, Viking Kids
Baseball Baby (Spring 2021) by Diane Adams, Viking Kids
Raindrops to Rainbows (Mar 2021) by John Micklos Jr., Penguin Workshop
Amy Wu and the Patchwork Dragon (Dec 2020) by Kat Zhang, Aladdin/Simon & Schuster
Hug? (Sep 2020) by Charlene Chua, Kids Can Press
Going Up! (2020) by Sherry J. Lee, Kids Can Press
Genius Jolene (2020) by Sara Cassidy, Orca Books
Amy Wu and The Perfect Bao (2019) by Kat Zhang, Aladdin/ Simon & Schuster
Shubh Diwali! (2019) by Chitra Soundar, Albert Whitman
The Pencil (2019) by Susan Avingaq & Maren Vsetula, Inhabit Media
The Wind Plays Tricks (2019) by Virginia Howard, Albert Whitman
The Great Googlini (2018) by Sara Cassidy, Orca Books
Elisapee & Her Baby Seagull (2017) by Nancy Mike, Inhabit Media
Gokul Village & The Magic Fountain (2017) by Jeni L. Chapman & Bal Das, Big, Bold, Beautiful World Media
How Nivi Got Her Names (2017) by Laura Deal, Inhabit MediaAkilak's Adventure (2016) by Deborah Kigjugalik Webster, Inhabit Media
Leah's Mustache Party (2016) by Nadia Mike, Inhabit Media
Fishing with Grandma (2016) by Susan Avingaq and Maren Vsetula, Inhabit Media
Julie Black Belt: The Belt of Fire (2013) by Oliver Chin, Immedium Publishing
Julie Black Belt (2008) by Oliver Chin, Immedium Publishing
- 2020 USBBY Outstanding International Books List (The Pencil)
- 2020 Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Children’s Book Award shortlist (The Pencil)
- 2020 SCBWI Crystal Kite Finalist, Canada East (Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao)
- 2020 Ontario Library Association Best Bets (Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao)
- 2019 Toronto Public Library First & Best (Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao)
- 2019 Shining Willow Finalist (Elisapee and Her Baby Seagull)
- 2019/2020 Chocolate Lily Award Finalist (The Great Googlini)
- Finalist, Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Awards (Elisapee and Her Baby Seagull)
- Finalist, First Nation Communities READ 2018/19 (Akilak's Adventure)
- Kirkus Best Picture Books (Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao)
- Kirkus Best Middle-Grade books (The Great Googlini)
- Kirkus starred review (Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao, The Great Googlini)
- Canadian Children’s Book Centre Best Books for Kids and Teens Selections (Fishing with Grandma, Akilak's Adventure, Elisapee and her Baby Seagull)
McDonald's, Tully's Coffee, The Wall Street Journal, Orca Books, Inhabit Media Publishing, Cartamundi Cards, Hearts 4 Hearts Girls, OWL, Chickadee, Chirp, Rubicon Publishing, Oxford University Press, Caltex, Evan Moor, Cogeco Cable, Oxford University Press, Dove, Best Health, Pearson education, Scholastic, Aga Khan Museum, HGTV Canada, Olympia Sports Camp, World Vision Canada, Coaching Association of Canada, Albert Whitman & Company, Aladdin/Simon & Schuster, Kids Can Press